Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tomorrow is the day!

It's been almost a week since I've had my new central line placed. It ended up being another port-a-cath (much larger than the one I already have) placed instead of a broviac line. The pro is that it's all under my skin and I can shower and not worry so much about infection, but the con is that I'm not sure if the pheresis team is going to be happy when they see that the line I got is only single lumen. I'm really hoping they don't have me go back and get another line because the surgeon didn't do the one they wanted.

My first photopheresis treatment is finally scheduled for tomorrow morning (8:15am). Benito is taking the morning off of work to go with me. I'll have another appointment on Friday then probably twice again next week and so on for a 6-18 months depending on whether or not we feel it's working. I'm nervous and excited about getting it started. I'll be very sensitive to the sun for 24-48hrs after each treatment, so I've been told to get a good sunscreen and dark sunglasses to wear. I'm going to have to get new prescription sunglasses because the ones I have are not enough coverage.

On a slightly hopeful note, I had CF clinic this past Monday and my PFTs didn't show any decline since my last visit! That's the first time in a very long time since my PFTs have been the same instead of dropping between visits. It makes me think that switching my Azithromycin to 250mg every day instead of 500mg 3x a week has been helpful. I wish I would have known sooner that I was able to do that.

That's all for now. I'll try and post sometime this weekend about how the pheresis treatments went.

No comments:

Leah's GoFundMe Transplant Fundraising Page